Ingredients for chakkara pongal recipe:* 1 cup Raw Rice
* 1/2 cup Green Gram Dal
* 1 cup Milk
* 3 cups Jaggery (powdered)
* 4 tbsp Ghee
* 2 tbsp Cashewnuts
* 2 tbsp Raisins
* 5 no Cardamoms (powdered)
* 2 no Cloves (powdered)
* 1 small piece Nutmeg (grated or powdered)
* A pinch of Saffron
* 2 1/2 cups Water
METHOD TO PREPARE CHAKKARA PONGAL RECIPE:1. Roast dry the green gram dal for a couple of minutes.
2. Cook the rice and green gram dhal with 2 1/2 cups of water and 1 cup milk in the microwave and set aside.
3. Dissolve the jaggery in 3/4 cup water and cook on a low heat till the jaggery melts.
4. Strain the jaggery to remove the dirt.
5. Put the syrup once more on the heat and stir till it becomes slightly sticky.
6. Add the cooked rice and dhal.
7. Heat the 4 tbsp ghee.
8. Fry the cashewnuts and raisins and add to the pongal.
9. Add the powdered cardamoms, cloves nutmeg and saffron.
10. Mix well and serve hot.
The recipe is called Chakkara Pongal, but is mostly made with Jaggery.
If you feel the sweet pongal is thicker in consistency, add little more boiled water Or milk to it.
If you feel he pongal is not sweet enough, you can add some grated jaggery or sugar at the end. That should work.
Add more ghee for a richer pongal.